Friday, July 5, 2013

Spleen Venting, Part Deux

Remember yesterday, when I said "If you're not angry, you're not paying attention?"  Well, while folks were likely enjoying last night's Great Patriotic Circle-Jerk, the America you were celebrating died a bit more.


Development 1:  Well, we weren't using that Third Amendment anyway

This happened in 2011, but it is just now going viral (due to the legal paperwork having been filed).
LAS VEGAS (CN) - Henderson police arrested a family for refusing to let officers use their homes as lookouts for a domestic violence investigation of their neighbors, the family claims in court.
(Edited for space; you really should go read the whole thing.)
Police took Anthony and Michael Mitchell to jail and booked them for obstructing an officer. They were jailed for at least nine hours before they bailed out, they say in the complaint. All criminals charged were dismissed with prejudice. They claim the defendants filed the baseless criminal charges "to provide cover for defendants' wrongful actions, to frustrate and impede plaintiffs' ability to seek relief for those actions, and to further intimidate and retaliate against plaintiffs."
None of the officers were ever subjected to official discipline or even inquiry, the complaint states.
The Mitchells seek punitive damages for violations of the third, fourth and 14th Amendments, assault and battery, conspiracy, defamation, abuse of process, malicious prosecution, negligence and emotional distress.

Development 2: Irony is alive and well in Massachusetts.

On Independence Day, in the Cradle of Liberty, police conducted a warrantless search and seized property (firearms) because they belonged to the fiancee of someone they didn't like.
I had an EXCELLENT gun lawyer on speed dial. It took half an hour to get a callback on a vacation day, but after that, he was with us every step of the way.

I repeatedly refused the cops' requests for a voluntary walk-through of the house.

I repeatedly refused to answer any questions.

The cops repeatedly told me that if I had nothing to hide, I should just allow a walk-through, and if I was a good guy, I'd have a "conversation" with them.

In the end they illegally seized my FID (just plan CAN NOT do it, but they took it and wouldn't give it back) and they illegally seized Jennifer's firearms. My lawyer was appalled but not surprised.

Jennifer and I have been talking about moving out of MA in 3-6 years.

We are officially looking for real estate tomorrow; I will not spend one more day than is necessary in this totalitarian hell hole.

At the end, some of the cops who ransacked the house tried to shake hands with me. "No hard feelings".

I refused and said "Gentlemen, please think about what you're doing. On the Fourth of July, the day we celebrate freedom, you stole legally owned firearms from a women who is engaged to a guy who made a joke you don't like. You are not the good guys. You are 'just doing your jobs'. Look in the mirror. You're the bad guys."

Response: "I'm sorry you feel that way. Have a good Fourth."

My lawyer says that there's a decent chance I may yet be arrested.

And with that, I should probably go radio silent for a while.
Again, read the whole disgusting development.


I find it weirdly amusing that I am taking nearly the exact opposite trajectory of what is expected: during my youth I was pro-government and pro-police when nearly everyone else wasn't, and as I get older I am becoming a reactionary that is increasingly distrustful of all forms of authority.

13 comments:

  1. I was very "conservative" as a 20 something, however the last decade I have become very "libertarian". I don't see my self returnning to the "conservative" side of the political spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's basically been my arc as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much likewise

    I guess my conservative days were early to mid 80s, even then I was a bit an-cap, not that I had a name to describe it back then.

    These two are the age I was back in the 80s - I wish I'd had their knowledge back then and their intelligence at any time.
    http://www.fromancapwithlove.com/

    http://amandabillyrock.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. An-cap? This is a term unknown to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anarcho-Capitalist.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anarcho capitalist / someone who believes in a free market for all services

    stripped down to its absolute minimum, a state or a government is still defined as having a monopoly on the provision of defense (policing military etc) services, and a monopoly on final decision making (courts, law making, dispute resolution).

    people who believe in such a minimalist state get called "minarchists" or more realistically mini statists.

    keeping all else equal, a monopoly will always provide worse quality goods and services at higher price than freely competing providers.

    if a body has the final say in any dispute - including disputes involving itself - then it can be expected to cause disputes, so that it can settle them in its own favour.

    Those are the inescapable problems that you see with states.

    anarcho capitalism at its simplest is the belief that defense and dispute resolution services can be better provided by freely competing providers, on a market open to any who want to enter it, and that the same laws apply to everyone - there are no special privileges for "only ones" and no sanctimonious twat/ politically connected weeny loopholes, because there's no special caste called government.

    There's a load more behind that - Like the non aggression principal (NAP), but that's it in a nutshell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah the more I study the more I like this veiw...

    ReplyDelete
  8. With age and experience comes common sense... Just sayin... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find it weirdly amusing that I am taking nearly the exact opposite
    trajectory of what is expected: during my youth I was pro-government
    and pro-police when nearly everyone else wasn't, and as I get older I am
    becoming a reactionary that is increasingly distrustful of all forms of
    authority.


    You're just like us. Well, a lot younger, but other than that this is the trajectory. It wasn't like that 50 years ago when the Left had a workable (if wrong) philosophical model and could attract people as they matured. I think that died with John Kenneth Galbraith. Now all that's left of the Left is appetite.

    But the Right isn't so attractive, either. It was the Right that passed the PATRIOT act, and who hate teh Gay Cooties, and who are full co-conspirators with the Left in the War on (some) Drugs.

    I used to be a Democrat, a long long time ago. As George Carlin once said, "I used to be an Irish Roman Catholic. Now I'm an American. You grow, you change."


    But I've never been a Republican. Guess I'm not much of a joiner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the heads-up. Once my blood pressure decreased, I did my part to make it viral: http://productiveclassrevolt.blogspot.com/2013/07/what-third-amendment.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love that "I'm sorry you won't shake and smile with us statist toads who violated your home, rights and life" from the Stasi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous for obvious reasons.July 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM

    "during my youth I was pro-government and pro-police when nearly
    everyone else wasn't, and as I get older I am becoming a reactionary
    that is increasingly distrustful of all forms of authority.
    "
    Dunno how old you are, but I've had a similar path in some respects. It may be rose-colored glasses, but I think back then the government and police stood for, I dunno, Law and Order? At least, from what I saw. These days... they stand for themselves, and law and order can go hang, to judge by their actions.

    ReplyDelete

The Fine Print


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial- No Derivative Works 3.0 License.

Creative Commons License


Erin Palette is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.